I resolve to:
- Serve all citizens of Spokane to the best of my ability.
- Advocate for the needs of District 1.
- Treat everyone (citizens, city staff, fellow council members) with respect even when we may disagree.
- Seek out information and listen to all perspectives before making decisions.
- Communicate openly, honestly and often.
- Take responsibility for my actions.
Vision for Spokane
I envision the City of Spokane as a strong and vibrant community with safe neighborhoods, a healthy environment, good infrastructure and economic opportunity for all. To that end, I support policies that encourage:
Job growth and sustainable development
- Focused economic development efforts to advance job growth in Northeast Hillyard and the U-District
- Increased (re)construction of commercial and residential areas in our designated urban centers/corridors
- Small business success in historic neighborhood districts
Safe and thriving neighborhoods
- Crime prevention, neighborhood policing and smart justice
- Neighborhood traffic calming
- Targeted housing development and revitalization of neglected areas
Strategic public infrastructure investments
- Effective Spokane River cleanup strategies
- Short- and long-term street maintenance programs
- Current and future transit development opportunities
Responsible and transparent government
- Fair utility rates and sustainable City budgeting
- Consistent two-way communication with citizens, business leaders, city staff and other elected officials
- Open and accountable decision-making
Ongoing Goals and Priorities
Increase community safety
- Support C.O.P.S. and neighborhood-oriented policing efforts that prevent crime
- Identify ways to calm traffic and increase bicycle/pedestrian safety
- Ensure accountability and transparency through the Office of Police Ombudsman
Advance sustainable economic development and job opportunities
- Support implementation of Spokane’s Center/Corridor policies, specifically infill housing development
- Identify strategies to encourage the success of our historic business districts
- Create a targeted economic development plan for industry in East Hillyard as a member of the Northeast Development Board
Support implementation of neighborhood planning efforts, especially in District 1
- Work with the Planning Dept. and neighborhoods to continue to improve the planning process
- Identify changes to policy/regulations that can support the outcomes of these efforts
Encourage community involvement in decision-making
- Actively seek to engage citizens in the community, especially in District 1, through in-person and electronic communications
- Provide strong leadership and engage the public in critical public transit decisions
- Work with Community Assembly to resolve neighborhood concerns and identify proactive policy solutions
- Increase communication and coordination with other area leaders to develop regional solutions and help prioritize the needs of our community